Thursday, July 10, 2008

"If you build it, they will come."


Perhaps the best female athlete in Chicago, Kawanna Brooks prepares to qualify for the 2008 USATF National Junior Olympic heptathlon this weekend in North Chicago. Having qualified through to the nationals in Omaha, NE because of meeting the qualifying standards at the Age Group Championships a few weeks ago, Kawanna will be doing 5 events including the hep. We wish her all the luck in the world. She is truly a remarkable young lady. Although I am always excited about the athletes that we have participating in these meets, it never ceases to amaze me how much potential these talented athletes have.


My 9 year old son Cameron will also be trying to qualify for the USATF National Junior Olympics. This is his first year with the Striders and I am very proud of how well he has taken to the javelin. I have seen him progress mentally, socially and physically. Chip off the old block, if I do say so myself.

I
am also proud of the diverse group of athletes we have this year. Last year, the Striders set a precedent with 12 different high schools and 6 different elementary schools representing the over 70 student/athletes. This year though, we have twice as many elementary athletes competing, and our high school athletes are setting not just team records, but great examples of outstanding sportsmanship. "If you build it, they will come."


Coach Collins


No comments: