Sunday, August 10, 2008

An Olympic Moment


If you ever get a chance to witness Chicago's Bud Billiken Parade, I encourage anyone to enjoy one of the great parades in America. Signifying the end of the summer and back to school preparations, the Bud Billiken Parade gives an opportunity to reflect as well as look at the future. For me this year, the parade meant something a little more. This being an Olympic year, the Chicago Striders were asked to take part in this historic parade with CHICAGO 2016, an organization behind the move to bring the Olympics to Chicago in 2016, obviously.
With no hesitation, but completely honored to be asked, I agreed and witnessed what I believe the Olympics are at least partly about. POSSIBILITIES and HOPE.

After what seemed like thousands of floats, cars, bands, politicians and dance teams it all seemed worth while when I saw the Striders standing, waving and proud to be part of this historic event. Kawanna Brooks, our 3rd place finisher in the hep at this year's JO USATF Nationals, represented along with some of our college bounds Maris Smith and Icy Snoddy. Even my son Cameron, who at 9 years old at times displayed this season acute athletic potenti
al and other times not really a fan of the rigor involved in track and field, showed the type of emotion an Olympian might feel, a hero might feel after returning home triumphant from the Olympic Games. Hmm 2016.

Now agreeing to do the parade meant squeezing this between the Chicago Striders Olympic Spirit Invitational on Friday the day before and the Pot-Luck @ the Point right after on Saturday....irregardless of the 60% chance of on and off showers throughout the day because this season is officially over.

So we did get a little wet, but I think those of us that gathered to signify the end of this great season did not feel dampened by the rain. We were happy to celebrate, reflect and prepare for another great season next year.

"When is the javelin and the pole vault coming on, Dad?" Cameron asked from the back seat of the truck as we head home.
"Track and Field starts next Friday." I replied.
"See me on top of the float?
"I did."
"I'll be 17 in 2016.
"I know."
The hope and the possibilities: The Olympics.

No comments: